- Calorie Content
- Dietary Pattern
- Nutrition Variety
- What Is Possible Or It Is Impossible To Eat While Breastfeeding
The healthy nutrition of nursing mothers is the main and important aspect which interests most of women. Having studied properties in many certain foods, it is possible to come to a conclusion that young mother cannot actually eat anything at all. However in case of a poor and insufficient diet not only the woman's organism, but also the organism of her child can suffer, therefore it is necessary to understand healthy nutrition for the nursing mothers.
During a lactation period the woman should bear responsibility for health of her child, providing it with good nutrition. The quantity and quality of breast milk directly depends on what is used by young mother for food. It is known that during the lactation period the calorie content of the breastfeeding woman’s food allowance should increase approximately by 600 kcal that completely excludes any strict dieting.
Breastfeeding women are recommended to eat smaller meals 5-6 times a day, especially before nursing, that promotes increase in amount of milk. Moreover, such mode is convenient to young mummy as she can eat in quiet periods while her baby still sleeps.
If some food product is completely absent in a food allowance, it can provoke avitaminosis not only in woman, but also in her child, therefore the menu of young mother must be various. Otherwise the child’s organism should be under serious stress that will lead to refusal of breast and problems with a digestive tract.
The very important aspect of healthy nutrition is gradual entering of foods necessary for an organism, which, however, can negatively be reflected in the child’s health. Especially it concerns those nursing mothers who have children under the age of 4 months when practically every night does not pass quietly, without bowel disorders and gripes in the child.
The meaning of liquid in nursing mothers food.
After the delivery the female organism loses a lot of liquid which needs to be filled to avoid dehydration. For all of that, the amount of the developed breast milk depends on amount of the consumed liquid. So, it is recommended for nursing mothers to double the consumed liquid, especially during the summer period.
What Is Possible Or It Is Impossible To Eat While Breastfeeding
First of all, you have to prepare yourself for the fact that the first month of breastfeeding even most strict diet will not help you, because newborn’s organism adapts to the outside world and to a food through the stomach, but not through the umbilical cord. Therefore it can sometimes have gases, intestinal gripes or diarrhea. But you don’t need to be frightened – your child will very quickly get used to new conditions, and then it will be possible to enter new products into mother's diet gradually.
To monitor reaction of the child to any food products, it is possible to keep the food diary. Every day write down dishes which you have eaten and also behavior of your child after breastfeeding.
The Short List Of Food Products Permitted While Breastfeeding
- Vegetables. They must be used only after cooking or heat treatment. Refrain from using them raw for the first time. Bake, cook, or stew them.
- Fruit. Refrain from grapes, citrus, mango, papaya, avocado, strawberry and raspberry. Apples are allowed only baked. Don’t forget to peel them before eating. Bananas are allowed without fear.
- Freshly squeezed juice. It is possible to drink freshly squeezed juices after one month. And after three months you may add one new fruit in two days. Monitor reaction of your child at the same time. It is possible to use most of porridges, as they promote digestion. Besides, they are nourishing and contain many nutritious elements. But you should exclude quick-cooking cereals.
- Various soups with vegetable broth are allowed, too.
- But eat meat separately from other food products and use only lean meat.
- Fermented milk products can be entered in your food ration in a week. It can be kefir, fermented baked milk (it is better to use baked milk, as it is softer than some kefir), cottage cheese, yogurt, curdled milk.
- Fish (salt-water or fresh-water) can be boiled, baked with vegetables.
- Eggs can also be eaten, however you must remember that it is allergen.
- Bread can be eaten in small amounts with additives – with bran, for example.
- It isn't recommended to be fond of sweet however it is possible to use dried fruits, crispbread, biscuits, or bagels.
- Butter and vegetable oil.
- Dry cracker, cookies, fruit jelly, fruit candy, zephyr (without chocolate).
- Weak green and black tea, weak coffee, fruit drinks, compote, herbal tea with mint, thyme and oregano, still mineral water.
- After a month it is possible to enter into the menu gradually borsch, sour cream, nuts, fruit drinks and jam.
- After half a year it is possible to eat honey, various grass seasonings, legumes and seafood. During this period you may also eat macaroni, cheese, seasonal fruit and vegetables (it is important, just only seasonal!).
What It Is That Is Not Recommended To Eat
Besides, it is also necessary to know about stop products which use is categorically forbidden to all nursing mothers. First of all, it is impossible to eat while breastfeeding:
- Chocolate, some sweet food products, such as pastries, especially with addition of various dyes and substitutes.
- Coffee and tea. Refrain from them at least for the first half a year. It is possible to use them later, but only high-quality sorts. Coffee or tea must be well prepared and made, don’t use them in bags. NOTE! The exceptions being special tea, so-called tea for breastfeeding which structure includes fennel, caraway seeds, balm and anise. Such tea raises a lactation of breast milk.
- Avoid half-finished products, products with artificial preserving agents and dyes. Use only high-quality and fresh food products.
- It is necessary to refuse carbonated drinks, as they won't bring any benefit to either child, or mother.
- Garlic, onions and other spicy products are not recommended, too.
- Try to refuse from smoked meat, sausage and fish.
And also, from:
- Fat meat and lard.
- Legumes and black bread.
- Sauerkraut, garden radish, radish, fermented cheeses (such as suluguni, sheep cheese, adygei cheese), sausages and ham.
- Exotic fruit.
Video: Best foods to eat when breastfeeding