- What Drugs You Can Drink During Pregnancy and Which Are Not
- What Medications are Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
What Drugs You Can Drink During Pregnancy and Which Are Not
Everyone knows that an absolutely safe medication to use during pregnancy does not exist! This article is dedicated to the description of drugs that are considered to be low-risk to use during pregnancy for mild diseases. At the end of the article, you will also read about unsafe drugs for pregnant women. We will list a few names of drugs as an example. However, there are many other drugs in the market that have different names, but the same active ingredient.
Before taking any of the following products, be sure to visit a specialist (for example, your gynecologist). Do not take more than the recommended dose and, if possible, avoid taking any medication during the first trimester of pregnancy. It is the period when your baby is most vulnerable.
So, here is the list of drugs recognized as safe during pregnancy:
- Heartburn, gas (flatulence), abdominal bloating, indigestion: antacids for heartburn (Maalox, Mylanta, Gaviscon, Almagel, Rennie); simethicones from bloating and gas (Imodium, Maalox, Bobotik, Espumizan, Infacol, Dufalak).
- Cough: guaifenesin - expectorant (Sinetos, Coldrex broncho, Sudafed, Tussin); Dextromethorphan against dry cough (Tussin plus, Akodin).
- Pain, including headache, fever: Acetaminophen or Paracetamol (Panadol, Tylenol).
- Allergy: Antihistamines for allergies, Chlorpheniramine, (children's Tylenol against cold, Chloro-Trimeton), Loratadine (Alavert, Claritin, Allegra), Dimedrol (Benadryl), Aktifed.
- Constipation: The extract of plantain (Mukofalk, Fayberlaks, Defenorm) Forlaks, Norgalaks, Dufalak, Laktuvit, Normase.
- Hemorrhoids: Creams, gels, suppositories (Relief, Anestezol, Bezornil).
- Diarrhea: anti-diarrheal (Imodium, Smecta, Nifuroxazide, activated carbon).
- Fungal infections: Clotrimazole, Candide (except for the I trimester), Miconazole (only in the form of ointments or suppositories), Lamisil, Dermazol (except tablets) Livarol (only after the 12th week of pregnancy), Pimafucin.
- Sleep disorders: Drugs for the correction of sleep disorders on the basis of Dimedrol (Benadryl, Allergan-B), Persen, Novo-Passit, Sanval, Doxylamine (Donormil).
- Itching of the skin, dermatitis: Advantan, Elokim, simple sulfuric ointment.
- Cuts, scrapes, burns: Baneotsin, Bepanten, Panthenol.
These drugs are not safe to take during pregnancy:
- Cold remedies that contain alcohol.
- Decongestants: "Pseudoephedrine" and "Phenylephrine" that can affect the blood flow to the placenta.
- The majority of antifungal agents that are not listed here.
- Sleeping pills: especially "Sonnat" and "Roserem".
Before you go to the pharmacy to buy any drug, call and ask your gynecologist about the safety of the drug. Buying the necessary drug, carefully read the instructions: some manufacturers can attach auxiliary ingredients to the main active ingredients, which can be absolutely contraindicated! Typically, such drugs have "pregnancy" contra or parts of it (for example, the first 12 weeks, or the last trimester).
Treat yourself in a responsible manner. If possible, avoid any medication during pregnancy, unless the damage from lack of treatment does not exceed the harm from taking the drug.