Low Back Pain During Early Pregnancy
Women in early pregnancy may have frequent nagging back pain. Pain may occur as a result of changes within the body triggered by the pregnancy. Risk of spontaneous abortion should be kept in mind as well. So in any case you need to consult the gynecologist.
What Causes the Pain?
In early pregnancy the fetus weight is quite insignificant to affect the female body shape. Then why does lower back pain occur in the beginning of pregnancy? Various pain in the back and abdomen may start from the first day, but they do not always mean a threat or cause for concern. Physiological reasons are related to the particularities of the first trimester.
The beginning of pregnancy is often accompanied by a variety of low back pain. The reason is the natural processes restructuring the woman body for gestation. Lower back nagging pain usually appear by the 11th week of pregnancy. During this period, the uterus becomes too large to remain in the lower abdomen and starts moving up into the abdominal cavity.
The uterus is growing rapidly in size, making the supportive ligaments get transformed and slightly stretched. The woman feels discomfort in the lower back and abdomen. The initial stages of pregnancy change the structure of discs and spine supportive ligaments (to more friable and soft), increasing the amount of progesterone hormone and shifting the center of gravity of the abdomen, which causes abdomen and lower back pain. However, these symptoms usually disappear after the 20th week of pregnancy.
Unfortunately, pain in the lower back happens to be unsafe. The expectant mother’s organism is being restructured, that sharply declines the immunity. That is the nature of motherhood. This is necessary to prevent mother's body from rejecting the fetus as something alien.
Therefore, pregnant women are often susceptible to diseases:
- Exacerbation of osteoarthritis and spinal disorders. Women are no strangers to that sort of pain. They could recognize it easily. The normal medication method of treating the disease is not applicable in this case, that is rather dangerous.
- Inflammatory diseases of the kidneys (pyelonephritis). The risk of acquiring the disease during pregnancy is very high, since this infectious disease is caused by pathogenic microbes. Generally, the inflammatory process affects only one kidney. Therefore, lower back pain may occur on the right or the left side. Pyelonephritis often has concomitant symptoms: fever, swelling in the morning, painful urination, cloudy urine.
- The threat of abortion or premature delivery. Dark discharge, nagging pain in the lower back or abdomen occurring during the early pregnancy an urgent need to see your doctor.
- Myositis (inflammation of the lumbar muscles).
- Aggravation of the spine disorders and internal organs deseases that were in women before pregnancy.
Thus, only non intensive pulling pain in the lumbar region can be considered as normal in early pregnancy, unless accompanied by other "troubles". All other cases require a qualified professional assistance.
Ways to Soothe Painful Sensations
What is to be done to alleviate lower back pain in the early pregnancy? Exercise is the best remedy (make sure to choose exercises under medical supervision). To get rid of low back pain you need to start workout as early as possible . In addition, physical activity will improve the overall body condition and prepare the future mother to the upcoming childbirth, providing good labors and easy delivery.
A pregnant woman should pay attention to her posture. Because lower back pain in early pregnancy may often result in curvature of the spine. In this case, it is recommended to pay special attention to your posture keeping your back straight while walking or sitting. This helps you cope with pain.
A pregnant woman just needs enough sleep and rest. It is necessary to avoid nervous strain and stress, which can aggravate the situation with low back pain during pregnancy. A popular way to relieve back pain today is yoga, it should be combined with the main exercise. Very effective special massage techniques permitted for pregnant women. However, if back pain persists for a long time and ruins your normal life, do not hesitate to consult a gynecologist, who may prescribe a physiotherapy.