- The Symptoms of Heartburn
- Medicinal Preparation
- Natural Home Remedies for Heartburn During Pregnancy
- Ways to Soothe Heartburn in Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Tips: How to Avoid Heartburn While Pregnant
Heartburn and Pregnancy
Pregnancy is an interesting condition. While waiting for a child, a woman may have the most unexpected symptoms. One of them is heartburn, and we'll talk about it today. It may appear starting from the second trimester. Let's see what it is and what its causes and symptoms are. The heartburn is a symptom. During pregnancy the level of progesterone is high, it weakens the muscles of the body and internal organs.
And of course esophagus muscles are no exception - the sphincter, the valve that prevents acid from getting from the stomach to the esophagus, ceases to perform its function. And as a consequence we can feel this acid in the mouth. I agree, there is nothing pleasant about it. In addition, the growing fetus squeezes both the stomach and the esophagus, increasing the burning sensations.
The Symptoms of Heartburn
This burning sensation is the main heartburn symptom. And it is better to get rid of it as soon as possible. It kills the mood and brings concern to the life of the future mom. Sometimes it seems like you are burning inside and it will never stop. Of course you are trying to extinguish the fire in all possible ways. Dear future moms, don’t worry - the heartburn will pass once you give birth to your child. And you won't even remember about it, only all sorts of remedies will stay in your memory. It should be added, that the heartburn is not dangerous by itself and will not harm neither you nor your little baby. So a little patience and it will be over. And we will help you to ease the burning and reduce its duration.
During pregnancy, especially in its early stages, the drugs should be taken after careful consideration, in order not to damage the baby. There are a lot of heartburn medications, but only some of them are suitable for the future moms. Do not self-medicate, consult with your physician, and only take medicines on prescription, because otherwise you may damage yourself and your baby.
Most often, the doctors recommend Rennie for the heartburn during pregnancy, it's relatively harmless. This antacide drug will relieve burning within five minutes. Due to the high content of calcium and magnesium, it neutralizes the hydrochloric acid, which is the cause of burning sensations, and protects the stomach walls. The women with impaired kidney should carefully take this drug, because kidneys remove it from the body.
Drugs that contain calcium should be taken with caution during pregnancy, because the excess calcium may affect the early ossification of the skull of a child, which leads to many problems, especially during labour. And magnesium and aluminium which Rennie contains, should alert you and warn about the dangers of overuse. Therefore, take the medication only after consulting the doctor.
Rennie is not only drug that helps to get rid of the heartburn - such medications as Almagel, Smecta, Maalox, etc. are also often prescribed to pregnant women. Please, remember, that these medications should not be taken together. Not only they will strengthen the therapeutic effect, but there will be more side effects. And you should always remember, if the medicinal product is advertised, it means only that pharmaceutical companies are trying to sell it. The TV does not give prescriptions, better consult your physician.
In case of complicated pregnancy and permanent heartburn, other medications are prescribed. Homeopathic remedies can help when the traditional medicines are prohibited. Homeopathic doctors can chose a heartburn medicine for pregnant women from several options, such as Nux vomica, Pulsatilla, Caustikum and others, they remove the burps, bloating, cramps and unpleasant metallic taste in the mouth. If you do not want to take any medications or you are taking them too frequently, you can always turn to the natural home remedies.
Natural Home Remedies for Heartburn During Pregnancy
Our grandmothers have a recipe from any illness, people tried a lot of methods to get rid of heartburn. Everyone has his own method, because all we are unique. And everyone have its own reaction to different products. While they may help some of you, others may feel even worse, so experiment with caution.
We list the most popular ones:
- raw (not fried) sunflower seeds or, if available, pumpkin seeds;
- stale bread crust helps to get rid of heartburn and is not a heavy product;
- a teaspoon of sunflower oil - take it with caution in order not to induce vomiting;
- a bit of chocolate, but not too much;
- warm milk;
- plain water (warm or chilled);
- "Borjomi" mineral water, better still;
- herbal teas, for example, hypericum or chamomile tea (the chamomile tea should be taken with caution during pregnancy);
- milk porridges and berry starch drinks.
Sodium bicarbonate as a heartburn remedy is particularly popular among people, but you should be careful because it may do harm. It’s better not to trust its therapeutic effect. It may not help. To be more precise, soda is easily absorbed into the blood, disrupt the breaks the acid-alkaline balance, which leads to swelling which are not uncommon during pregnancy.
Some medicines may be taken during the day, they can help you to prevent the heartburn, other should not be taken until the symptoms appear, choose those which help you better. Anyway, it’s important not to abuse the medicines, a full stomach will give even more burning sensations. So, ladies, there are options to try and experiment, just don't forget about responsibility for your defenceless unborn child. Once again, think about the lifestyle that you lead, the food that you eat and try to change it, and may be you will feel better at once.
Ways to Soothe Heartburn in Pregnancy
- Try to change your diet - you should not have products, dishes and drinks that contribute to the selection of hydrochloric acid but that pregnant women love so much - fresh pastries, smoked and salted fish, fatty meats, fried or hard boiled eggs, sour berries and fruits, ice cream, coffee and tea, of course sodas. Generally speaking, everything smoked, fried and spicy.
- On the contrary, try to consume more dairy products and steamed dishes. The products you can consume: milk, cottage cheese, sour cream, cream, butter, olive and sunflower oil, steamed scrambled eggs, low-fat meat and fish, white and stale bread. It is not only delicious, but also healthy, it neutralises the acid and benefit you and your baby.
- Try natural cider vinegar as a remedy, but not on an empty stomach, it will help to digest food faster (dissolve ane and a half tea spoons in a glass of boiled cooled water and drink in small sips).
- Remember the basic rule: if you have heartburn, you should eat smaller portions but often, up to 7 times a day. You should chew the food thoroughly, this will help better digestion. Do not eat 3 hours before sleep, and better walk after the meal, do not lie down! Stand up, go out for some fresh air, walk outdoors for an hour.
- Another remedy for the night heartburn. Lift the cushion higher, although this is not very comfortable and healthy, it will help you to avoid a night heartburn attack.
- If the heartburn woke you up in the middle of the night, or you could never fall asleep because of it, it would be better to get up, walk about the room, have a glass of warm milk or a crust of bread.
- Do not stand up drastically, do everything smoothly and not just because of the heartburn.
- It is worth mentioning that alcohol and nicotine also increase the risk of acid reflux.
- Keep your posture, do not squeeze your stomach and your child.
- Narrow and tight clothing is your enemy too.
- And of course avoid stagnation of intestinal wastes in your colon, there is someone there who needs space.
Dear ladies, the important thing to remember is that everything will pass. Happiness is within yourself, and whatever obstacles and hardships you may have to endure, it is all worth it.