Stretch Marks Cream During Pregnancy
Many women get stretch marks (also known as striae) during pregnancy. Stretch marks are narrow streaks of pink or slightly purple color that develop on the skin on the belly, hips, buttocks and even breasts. The stretching of the skin due to belly growth and weight gain usually causes stretch marks. It’s easy to prevent them than treat them, but what can one do if it already happened? Traditional medicine and machine cosmetology will help in this struggle. Read more on how to get rid of pregnancy stretch marks here.
One of the options is stretch marks creams for pregnancy. They help prevent stretch marks during pregnancy and reduce or remove them after the pregnancy.
The cream that you choose should meet the following requirements:
- Ingredients. The cream should contain components that improve the skin elasticity, for example, collagen or elastin.
- Safety. The cream shouldn’t have side effects on the body.
- Brand. Choose the well-known and trusted brands.
In order to get rid of stretch marks you need to know how they develop. Stretch marks form when the elastic fibers under the epidermis break. This happens due to the collagen and elastin deficiency. These components are essential for keeping the skin elasticity, which makes them the key elements of a good stretch marks cream. Additionally your skin needs nutrition and moisturizing.
The best cream contains:
- Collagen and elastin for skin elasticity and ingredients that stimulate their production;
- Oils and seaweed extracts that have nutrients to keep your skin’s moisture and firmness: vitamin B-complex, retinol, and unsaturated fatty acids (linoleic acid, linolenoic acid, and oleic acid);
- Wheat germ oil that has antioxidants such as vitamin E and vitamin C to protect skin from environmental stresses;
- Cell regeneration activators;
- Agents that improve blood flow.
How to Find the Best Stretch Mark Cream
When choosing your stretch mark cream think of this:
- The cream should be harmless: make sure that the cream is safe during lactation
- Тhis information should be either on the package or in the instruction;
- The cream should be hypoallergenic: both the mom and the baby are not allergic to any of the cream’s ingredients (the baby may get them through the breast milk);
- Unscented and colorless: fragrance and coloring agents make the cream more attractive but also they can cause an allergy in the baby and mom;
- Use a tester: try it on your skin and see any allergic reaction will follow.
How to Use Cream for Pregnancy
You will find the recommendations in the instruction, including how to apply, how long to use and if you need any additional treatments (exfoliation procedure etc.).
Most of the creams have similar usage instructions:
- Apply the cream to the problem areas (belly, hips, buttocks, breasts and upper arms) using circular motion twice a day;
- Use the cream for about 2 or 3 months;
- Apply the cream onto the clean skin (preferably after the shower or bath);
- If you had a C-section avoid the scar zone until it’s fully healed.
Top 8 Stretch Mark Creams
There is no universal treatment that suits everyone. Though our skin has the same structure, it can react individually to the cream. Consider the cream’s effects to find the best cream for you. The following list has information about the ingredients of the creams to help you find the most effective cream for you.
1. Cream «Mustela»
Mustela double action cream helps prevent and reduce already existing stretch marks.
- Patented ingredients that improve skin elasticity: elastoregulator, lupeol, galactoarabinan;
- Sophora japonica and microelements that promotes regeneration of the skin;
- Shea butter and avocado peptides that nourish skin.
2. Cream «Pregnacare»
Pregnacare cream helps to prevent and treat stretch marks that develop during and after pregnancy. The ingredients of the cream reduce stretch marks and prevent new stretch marks thanks to the elastin production stimulator.
- Aloe extract and panthenol to nourish skin;
- Allantoin and evening primrose oil that stimulates cell regeneration;
- Vitamin E, Calendula extract and soy glycine that work as antioxidants;
- Lemon oil that stops collagen and elastin proteins breaking and stimulates their production.
3. Cream «Avent»
Avent stretch mark cream is very popular in Europe.
It contains natural oils rich in minerals, vitamins, amino acids, and vegetable extracts, including seaweed and sea plant extracts. It has a light citrus scent that carries the notes of lemon and grapefruit, both well known for their pregnancy nausea fighting properties. All Philips Avent products are dermatologically tested.
Avent special formula relieves fatigue and increases skin elasticity, which prevents stretch marks from developing. This nourishing and light massage cream improves firmness, moisturizes and softens the skin. It is hypoallergenic.
- Shea butter that softens the skin;
- Seaweed and sea plant extracts;
- Papaya and sweet almond oils (cleaned from potentially allergic free proteins) frees congestion and prevents excess water retention in the body.
4. Cream «Vichy»
Vichy stretch mark cream reduces the risk of developing stretch marks. Improves skin elasticity and combats existing stretch marks.
«Vichy» pregnancy stretch marks cream ingredients:
- Vichy thermal water that stimulates cell regeneration;
- Glycerin that retains water in the skin to keep its elasticity;
- Illipe butter that activates collagen synthesis and metabolic processes in the skin.
5. Gel Or Serum Phytolastil «Lierac»
The French brand claims that its product is 85 % effective for fighting both old and new stretch marks. It contains extracts of ivy, horsetail and alchemilla. These plants extracts are rich in flavonoids that stimulate collagen and elastin production.
Massage Lierac Phytolastil morning and evening to the targeted areas for 8 weeks. You can keep using the product after 8 weeks as well. The result depends on your diligence, that’s why it’s important not to interrupt the treatment.
6. Cream "Clarins Stretch Mark Control"
Clarins Stretch Mark Control cream was developed on the botanical extracts that reduce skin defects and nourish.
- Centella Asiatica extract and crowberry activate skin regeneration and stimulate collagen and elastin production;
- Oils that nourish the skin.
7. Cream "Solaris" Dr. Nona
Solaris help fight not only stretch marks but also other skin problems (scars, burns, tattoo healing etc.). It contains the complex of bioorganic elements and minerals, vegetable emulsifying wax, sunflower oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, Aloe Vera extract, orange oil, thyme extract, and rosemary extract that rejuvenate and nourish the skin to help increase its elasticity and moisture. The lotion also improves cell renewal.
Directions: apply a thin layer of the lotion onto the wet skin.
8. Cream Intensive Anti-Stretch Marks Cream «Collistar»
Collistar Intensive Anti-Stretch Marks Cream inhibits elastase, an enzyme that breaks down elastin. This is possible thanks to the complex of 4 amino acids. The cream also contains hyaluronic acid and silk proteins that stimulate intensive cell regeneration and retain moisture in the intercellular space.