Many pregnant women notice increased appetite, which makes them fear to put on much weight and thus harm the baby. However, the reverse process is also quite common: the pregnant notices complete loss of appetite.
Very often in the first trimester of pregnancy, the woman may not feel hungry at all. From the one point of view, it is quite good, but from the other - it is no good at all. In most cases, it is a serious deviation.
What may cause the lack of appetite, and is it worth worrying about it?
Causes Of Poor Appetite During Pregnancy
During pregnancy, the woman’s body may overreact to various physiological and psychological changes. Therefore, increased or reduced appetite during this period may be a kind of response to the new life inside the womb of the mother. The reasons for this reaction can be:
- early or late toxemia. During the period of toxemia, the appetite tends to reduce to a minimum or completely disappears. It’s quite easy to understand: each piece of food may cause nausea or vomiting in the woman. However, during this period the body still needs nutrients, to cope with toxemia it is best to take more liquid food (milk, cereals, liquid vegetable soups, juices, still water). Such food is better absorbed in the stomach;
- lack of folic acid (vitamin B9). This vitamin is vital for the female body. Its deficiency causes lack of appetite during pregnancy. Women with reduced appetite should take vitamins with high contents of iron;
- dramatic hormonal changes may suppress the appetite. High progesterone levels suppress digestive function. Progesterone usually eliminates the feeling of hunger;
- in the second trimester of pregnancy, the growing uterus starts pressing the large intestine and causes constipation. It can cause loss of appetite and poor digestion;
- loss of appetite in the third trimester is most likely to be caused by the press the big fetus puts on the intestine and the stomach;
- stress is the main culprit for lack of appetite in pregnancy. Depression, low spirits, bad mood - all these psychological factors might reduce the feeling of hunger and contribute to the appetite loss;
- exacerbation of some chronic diseases in pregnancy can cause a lack of appetite in women. Usually these are intestinal disorders, kidney or liver disease.
As you can see from the mentioned above, the reasons for the lack of appetite during pregnancy have different origins. Therefore, it is very important to attend regularly doctor’s checkups in order to detect and fix the problem in a timely manner.
Tips To Increase Appetite During Pregnancy
Some pregnant women are happy about losing appetite. Nevertheless, it is important to remember that you are now responsible not only for your own health but also for the health of your child. Anyway, the baby needs nutrients to develop and grow normally. If you do not feel hungry, you should enhance this feeling artificially.
If any chronic diseases cause the loss of appetite, you should consult your doctor and get recommendations on the treatment.
As a rule, the lack of hunger in pregnant women has psychological and temporary nature; the following methods can help to cope with this disease:
- constantly remind yourself that the growing baby inside you needs tasty and healthy food to develop normally;
- go for long walks in the fresh air, it is best to walk somewhere far away from big roads with active traffic;
- practice yoga for pregnant, attend special fitness classes. Sport can help to overcome apathy and depression;
- everybody knows that women love new things. You may also want to buy few new things. Shopping will bring you joy, and red and orange things will stimulate appetite;
- every meal should take place in a comfortable and esthetically pleasant environment. Always try to nicely serve the table, think about details. Make a light makeup and wear beautiful clothes to have a meal. All these tips will help to create an ambiance of a feast and return the appetite;
- try to spend more time with close friends and your pregnant mates You can attend your clinic together, walk in a park, go to cafes, shops. This will help you to raise your appetite, because it is fun to eat in a company;
- it is important to get used to eat at the same time. Doing so you will accustom your body to want eat in certain hours;
- try to buy food yourself, do not charge somebody else to do it for you (your mom, husband or mother-in-law). Appetizing products and aromas will cause hunger, or at least the desire to try this or that dish. While cooking, use ginger, cinnamon, cumin, hot pepper - all these spices stimulate the appetite by increasing salivation;
- it is also necessary to take vitamins for pregnant women. They will be of use for both the mother and the baby during the period of reduced appetite and will help to improve the digestion;
- drink plenty of herbal infusions during the period of decreased appetite or absence of it in pregnancy. However, consult your doctor to choose properly the components. In many cases women are allowed to take the brewer's yeast with vitamin B -it enhances the appetite and causes hunger;
The pregnant woman's diet should include many green vegetables and food with high content of protein.
In any case, reduced appetite and lack of hunger in pregnancy cannot be ignored.