Food Poisoning in Children

Food Poisoning in Children


Contents:

How to Treat Food Poisoning in Child

Food poisoning in a child is one of the most unpleasant things for the whole family. Literate adults’ actions in the cases of food poisoning in children can help to overcome the difficult period of the disease quickly and without complications.

Causes of Food Poisoning in Children

  • Food poisoning with poisonous products-mushrooms, berries, plants, and toxic chemicals.
  • Food poisoning caused by eating food inhabited by pathogenic microorganisms and toxins. The disease is caused not by microbe itself, but by toxins produced by the microbe.The disease develops rapidly during 2-3 hours, goes badly and ends quickly (in 2-3 days).
  • Acute intestinal infection caused by the microbe, viral (rotavirus, enterovirus, norovirus) or bacterial (salmonellosis, dysentery etc.). Such microbes get to a child from food. The incubation period can last several days.

The products that most commonly cause intestinal infections:

  • pastry with cream;
  • milk and perishable dairy products (cheese, ice cream);
  • eggs;
  • perishable meat products (pies, patties, jellies);
  • salads and vinaigrettes, herbs and roots;
  • fish and seafood;
  • kvass.

Symptoms of Food Poisoning in Children

The main symptoms of intestinal poisoning:

  • pain in the abdomen;
  • nausea;
  • vomiting;
  • diarrhea.

The disease starts suddenly, all symptoms may appear at the same time. In the case of severe poisoning, vomiting can be repeated, more than 15 times a day, later joins diarrhea, characterized by runny stools, admixtures of mucus, greens and even blood. With the development of the disease, the child becomes lethargic, whimsical, body temperature will begin to rise up to 39 °C.

As a result of abundant vomiting and diarrhea, dehydration begins The child abruptly fades, his breathing quickened, his mouth dry. If a two-year-old child suffers from food poisoning, he cannot tell you about all the symptoms, so you must carefully observe the frequency and amount of urination. In the case of dehydration, it occurs rarely and in small doses, and the color of the urine becomes darker. If the symptoms are increasing, an infectious-toxic shock syndrome is possible, which requires immediate hospitalization.

First aid in Case of Poisoning in Children

signs of food poisoning in children

Wash the Stomach

If your child is up to 5 years, his stomach should be washed only in hospital conditions. An older child can drink 2 cups of warm boiled water and try to induce vomiting. Repeat the procedure until the appearance of clean waters in vomit (2-3 times). If your child is over five years, you can add baking soda to the water (1 tbsp soda per 1L water).

Flush the Toxins With Help of Intestinal Absorbents

Activated charcoal (1 g per 1 kg weight) should be given to children in the ground form (you can dissolve it in a small amount of water). Don't feed your child during first 4-6 hours after onset of symptoms. The need to digest food would only aggravate the situation.

Combat Dehydration

Water baby often, small doses (1-2 tablespoons every 10 minutes). To restore the water-alkaline balance in the body, give special medications or mineral sparkling water, rice broth, weak tea.

In the case of food poisoning is forbidden to:

  • give your child antibiotics, antiemetics, and antidiarrheals, so as not to block the cleaning action of the organism;
  • give your child intestinal adsorbents in the case of ulcers and gastric bleedings;
  • give your child painkillers, so as not to disturb the setting of correct diagnosis;
  • lay hot or cold on his stomach area, so as not to trigger an attack of pancreatitis or complications beginning appendicitis, whose initial symptoms are very similar to intestinal infections;
  • give your child medication for adults.

If you follow all of the recommendations and your child’s condition does not improve in 24 hours, it is better to call an ambulance and resort to hospitalization.

You should also consult your doctor if:

  • kid's body temperature is above 39 °C and you cannot send it down;
  • your child is below three years old;
  • other family members got sick.

Be sure to consult your doctor in the following cases:

  • it is impossible to water your child (he doesn't drink or drinks, but immediately vomits);
  • If you suspect that the poisoning was caused by the mushrooms;
  • the kid is seeing double (one of the symptoms of botulism);
  • confused speech;
  • having trouble swallowing;
  • there is a rash of any nature;
  • there is muscle weakness;
  • there is blood in stool and/or vomit;
  • urine is very dark or completely absent.

Child Nutrition in Case of Food Poisoning

Food poisoning treatment efficiency lies in the diet. In the first 4-6 hours after the first symptoms, it is better to refuse any food, constantly drinking liquid in small doses.

You can then give your child liquid or semi-fluid mashed food in small portions. A good choice would be water-based porridge, vegetable soups, boiled meats, poultry, low-fat beef, low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat fish, steamed scrambled eggs, baked apples. You can also give your child tea, starch drink, decoctions of black currants or blueberries. You should feed your child with these products until a stable recovery (1-2 weeks).

Baby on breastfeeding can continue to eat breast milk, however, the frequency of feedings should be increased, and you should give your baby additional water. After the normalization of his state, you can return to normal feeding.

During the recovery period, you should exclude soft-boiled and hard-boiled eggs, rye bread, freshly baked pastries, raw fruits and vegetables, milk, cream, fatty foods (fish, pork), juices, sausages, milk soups, mushrooms, sweets (candies, honey, jam, chocolate), sparkling water.

After recovery, the diet should remain gentle for 2-3 more weeks.

Prevention of Food Poisoning in Children

How to avoid food poisoning?

There are a few simple rules:

  • cleanliness: hand hygiene before eating, after using the toilet, after contact with the animals, after returning from a walk, after contact with raw food, washing dishes, thorough washing of products under running water;
  • heat treatment of the products;
  • compliance with rules of food storage, control of shelf life;
  • use different cutting boards for raw and processed foods;
  • do not drink unboiled water and raw milk;
  • store cooked food in the refrigerator;
  • store perishable foods at room temperature no longer than two hours;
  • trust your own instincts when it comes to infant nutrition, be very cautious.

Leave a Reply