- Breastfeeding Pillow
- Useful Functions of Breastfeeding Pillow
- How to Use a Breastfeeding Pillow
- How to Correctly Choose a Breastfeeding Pillow
- Types of Pillows
Nursing mother gets tired to keep a newborn at the breast for hours, especially if the baby takes the breast often and sucks long. Then breastfeeding pillow comes to the rescue, which reduces the load, allows to relax and unwind. After all, a comfortable posture and good mood of the mom is a key to successful lactation and continued breastfeeding.
How to arrange the breastfeeding, read here. And in this article we will explain what a breastfeeding pillow is for, what types of products exist, how to choose and buy a right model or how to make the product with your own hands. In addition, we will learn how to use a breastfeeding pillow and what posture to pick up.
Useful Functions of Breastfeeding Pillow
- Securely captures the body of the suckling;
- Relieves the muscles of the hands, neck and back of lactating mother;
- Saves the correct posture of the woman;
- Creates a comfortable environment for the mother and baby when breastfeeding;
- Allows to correctly give breast to the child;
- Releases mom's hands, so you can feed the baby and do other things (read a book, eat an apple, etc.);
- Allows a woman to change the position of the body during long breastfeedings;
- A special breastfeeding pillow for feeding twins will allow to feed two babies at the same time;
- It is convenient to use when traveling with the suckling;
- Suitable for short games and light gymnastic exercises;
- The pillow is placed on the edge of the bed for the toddler not to fall during sleep, or is used when feeding lying as a side for a child;
- It will be a helper for the baby when he learns to sit.
How to Use a Breastfeeding Pillow
There are several poses for feeding a baby, where a pillow will be handy. In the classic "crib" the widest part of support is put in front of the mom, and one side is removed to the back. The baby is put on a side belly to belly and his head is supported with one hand. When breastfeeding lying, the mom lies on the side, and the kid is put on a pillow opposite the the nipple of the upper breast and is supported with a free hand.
Posture "of the hand" implies that the wider part of the pillow comes on a side of a woman. The baby is put on a side belly to mom and his head is supported with one hand. By the way, this pose is an excellent preventive of engorgement. It is suitable for breastfeeding of twins and after the cesarean section.
When overhung the baby is put on a pillow on the bed or table. And the baby should be turned slightly to the side. The mother hangs over the suckling. This method improves the process of release of milk and is excellent for children who are moving from infant formula to complete breastfeeding.
How to Correctly Choose a Breastfeeding Pillow
You can buy breastfeeding pillows in specialized stores and children's departments, choose only the certified product! Take the product which is high and of tight structure. The surface must be smooth, but not slippery, so that the baby does not roll.
Before you buy a pillow, carefully study the product, check out what it is made of. The information about the filler, washing conditions, expiry date and the manufacturer must be specified on the label. Choose only natural hypoallergenic and environmentally friendly filler. It should be firm and antistatic, preferably with orthopedic and water-repellent properties.
Take the product with removable covers that are easy to remove and wash. Choose the covers from cotton, sateen, coarse calico or other natural material. Tips from the article about pillows for newborns will help you find the right material and filler.
Before buying just touch and try on all models. And after you've purchased don't forget about the proper care! Regularly wash the covers and shake out the pillows, check the wholeness of the products. On the surface there should be no holes and sticking out filler.
Types of Pillows
Today there are various types of pillows, which differ in shape, purpose, size and fillers. Popular among lactating mothers is a model in the form of a crescent moon, letter C or cornetto. It is a versatile product that is suitable for feeding both one and two kids.
Note that there is a special pillow for feeding twins in the form of a horseshoe. Feeding of twins simultaneously synchronizes the biological rhythms of children, that has a positive impact on their development. The pillow for breastfeeding of twins is bulkier than a standard model.
Video: TOP 7 Best Breastfeeding Pillows.